Job Opening: Manager of Marketing & Communications
Are you enthusiastic about the transition to a low-carbon, socially-inclusive economy? Do you have experience successfully expanding the reputation and impact of an environmental or sustainability-focused non–profit organization?
We are seeking a candidate to fill our Manager of Marketing and Communications role: full-time (approximately 30 hrs/week) starting as soon as possible. This role would suit a communications professional with a breadth of expertise and knowledge regarding environmental and/or climate action work in Canada. This role is fully remote.
The successful candidate will value working both in a strategic and tactical manner on a small team, and will have light support from a Communications Officer role. This is a key role within our organization, providing expertise on marketing and communications for all program areas as well as fund development.
This position will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with each of our team members. The role can be fulfilled entirely remotely from anywhere within Canada, with preference for candidates able to complete the majority of their work between the hours of 7am and 5pm Pacific time. Candidates will be required to supply their own computer/laptop and ensure they have access to a workspace that allows for the candidate to thrive professionally. The contract duration will be one year, with an opportunity for extension(s).
The Manager of Marketing and Communications role includes the following responsibilities:
● Develops and executes, in partnership with the CEO, short- and medium-term marketing and communications strategies, building upon existing strategies and new priorities.
● Provides direction for the brand and channels, identifying potential future opportunities to engage and grow ASI’s profile, reputation, supporters, and donor/funder base.
● Grows our audience across all channels and supports the acquisition and conversion of new ASI supporters.
● Manages the marketing and communications budget in collaboration with the CEO.
● Supports the CEO in development and implementation of measurable internal and external communications plans for new and existing programs and projects.
● Works collaboratively with team members to prepare a wide range of multimedia marketing and communications materials.
● Ensures the ASI brand is clear, modern, and consistently applied across platforms, tools, and other applications, supporting other staff and Board members with key assets and brand language.
● Supports the Communications Officer with guidance on approaches, tools, etc., and ensures clarity of tasks and deliverables.
● Supports the Program Manager to align marketing and communications strategies and plans with key program launch dates, deliverables, and goals.
● Oversees work of contractors, where applicable.
● Collaborates closely with the CEO supporting fundraising goals and strategies and optimizing communications, stakeholder relations, and fund development efforts.
● Fosters a culture of inclusion, respect, positivity, and trust, and an environment that supports teamwork and cooperation.
● Collaborates and builds relationships across the environmental/climate action and education/training communities.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Experience Needed
Note: Below you will find our ‘wish-list’ in its entirety. Please do consider applying even if you do not feel that you fulfill/hold ALL of the items listed below.
● Strong personal interest in working towards a low-carbon, socially-inclusive future within Canada.
● Minimum of five years’ relevant experience in marketing and communications.
● Minimum of two years’ experience managing, supervising, and engaging staff and direct reports.
● Proven experience working in non-profit organizations, ideally within the environmental, climate action, social justice, or educational sectors.
● Proven experience with fundraising initiatives is an asset.
● Demonstrated ability to define marketing and strategic communications goals and objectives for multiple target audiences, and to develop and implement strategic communications plans to accomplish goals.
● Experience collaborating with consultants and/or contract service providers on marketing and communication pieces.
● An understanding of, and passion for, working in a small and dynamic growing charity.
● Comfort working with ambiguity, and willingness to personally attend to a variety of different types of tasks ranging from strategic to highly tactical.
● Ability to efficiently organize and manage diverse projects while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent follow through.
● Ability to work flexible hours on occasion..
Compensation, Benefits and Working Conditions
The annual compensation available for this position is $65,000-$72,000 for approximately 30 hours of work per week (roughly 4 days per week), with 3 weeks of annual vacation time plus a whole-office closure over the winter break (this year that means from Dec 25 to Jan 2).
● Our organization does not offer extended health benefits at this time, although we have the intention to change this within the next year, pending revenue.
● This is a remote role, with the intention that the usual working location is from Canada. The expectation is that the candidate will work from home or an office of their choosing, in an environment that allows for productive work and regular videoconference meetings.
● The candidate will be required to supply their own laptop/computer and other physical equipment. ASI is able to support with the procurement of some licenses/software and other memberships as needed for the role.
● ASI uses Google Workspace, Asana, and Slack as our primary internal tools. We also currently use Mailchimp and WordPress, and are on the hunt for a great CRM.
● The successful candidate will need to be able to be legally employed in Canada.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV/Resumé in one file to HR@sustainableinnovation.academy with the subject line “Application – Manager of Marketing and Communications”. The deadline for applications is 12 pm (noon) PST on Feb 1, 2023. We anticipate 2 rounds of interviews (30-45 minutes Round 1, and 45-60 minutes Round 2) all conducted on Zoom. Our desired start date would be in March 2023; sooner is better, but we’re willing to take our time as needed.
Should you require accommodations throughout the application process, please be in touch.
We especially encourage candidates who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, and 2SLGBTQAI+ to apply.
The Academy for Sustainable Innovation (“ASI”) is a registered Canadian charitable organization dedicated to building Canada’s sustainable workforce as Canada transitions towards a low-carbon, socially-inclusive economy. ASI creates and promotes learning experiences and programs that cultivate and nurture the capacities, leadership practices, and mindsets needed to help manage Canada’s shift to a more sustainable future.
ASI is at the intersection of climate change, social justice, and the implications for leadership that this presents. It believes in a bold new vision and mindset for leadership across Canada; one that is disruptive and emergent. ASI believes that Canada needs professionals across organizations and sectors who can navigate and accelerate the transition towards a more sustainable economy.